Monday, June 7, 2010

Contest Winner and Technical Problems

I'm so sorry this announcement came late. I have an excuse, but first: The winner!

This took forever. You guys had such amazing suggestions and it took me quite a while to sort through. But, in the end, the winner was Bittersweet, suggested by commenter Grizadams.

So, Grizadams, if you wish to collect your prize, send me an e-mail at 4haelz AT gmail DOT com (remember to spell it h-a-e-l-z) and specify whether you want me to mail you the card (with a stamp and everything) or you want me to just scratch it off and type the code out for you!

Now, for the reason this is so late:

A week ago, in the middle of a raid, my WoW randomly dropped from ~20 fps to 4 fps, and never got higher than 12 fps again. After checking my firewalls, shutting down all auxiliary programs, running virus scans, finding out my WoW repair wouldn't even connect to the server, shutting off addons...well, nothing worked. I finally had to uninstall and reinstall WoW, and delete all my addons. I'm in the process of redoing my Healbot bindings through muscle memory, and it's just...such a pain.

So, yeah, that was what I was doing this weekend.

Congratulations to Grizadams! And thank you to everyone who participated.

6 comments:

Jong said...

aw, man... everyone keep announcing winners to contests I wasn't aware of. I wanted to go to world cup too you stupid mountain dew marketing people!

Unknown said...

You could have just backed up your WTF, Addon, and Cache files so you don't have to re-set all your addon preferences :P

Most likely it is a graphics/video card issue or a virtual memory issue that causes severe FPS drops. Its happened to me a lot, and is a pain on BQL when you have to bite people :x

Bell said...

@Jong - Sorry, guess you'll have to read my blog more! :P

@Ronark - I did, and when I reused them, it all went to hell again. So I just decided to start fresh.

Simon said...

HB can be a pain to set up just the way you had it before if you don't have a back up :(

I had to put everything back one hour before ICC raid and you'll find out that there's still stuff missing when fighting.

might be a recent addon update that isn't working as it should.

Grizadams said...

Sweet, I think I emailed you, please let me know if you didn't get it.

Niniel said...

I ran with 4-ish fps all through Wrath 25 mans with low settings until I finally caved and bought a new computer. Now it's Ultra settings with 30-40 fps at the worst of times. I can't believe how easy it is to dodge boss abilities in real time ;)

It seems weird that it just dropped mid fight. Have you checked with AddonSpamFu (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/fu-bar_addon-spam-fu.aspx) if maybe your whole raid suddenly is running GearScore or other spammy addons that might be the cause?

I just had a lot of addons and a computer from 2006 so upgrading solved my issues. Hope your reinstall helps!